District PTA (Cumberland County)
Special Education PTA
As educators we support teaching and learning as a team effort in preparing our children for the future. Parent involvement is a critical component of student academic achievement and school improvement. Our goal is to establish a partnership between the home and school to support learning for all students in the public school community. Decades of research from the National Parent Teacher Association show when parents are involved students have:
- Higher Grades, Test Scores, And Graduation Rates
- Better School Attendance
- Increased Motivation, Better Self-Esteem
- Lower Rates Of Suspension
- Decreased Use Of Drugs And Alcohol
- Fewer Instances Of Violent Behavior
Joyce L. Epstein of the Center on School, Family, and Community Partnerships at Johns Hopkins University (1995) identifies six types of parent involvement opportunities. Each standard produces unique gains for students, contributes to effective programs, and fosters school success. Gains for students are greatest when parents participate in activities in each of the six standard areas. (National PTA, 1997)
ENSURE COMMUNICATION BETWEEN HOME AND SCHOOL IS REGULAR, TWO-WAY, AND MEANINGFUL
Cumberland County Schools offers a minimum of two formal parent teacher conference times per year; however, conferences between parents and teachers are encouraged on a regular basis. Contact your child’s teacher by phone, note or e-mail to request a conference.
The Cumberland County School website provides access to links for each Cumberland County School. Visit your school website by contacting www.ccs.k12.nc.us
Schools provide newsletters, report cards, progress reports, testing schedules, clubs and activity calendars etc. on a regular basis.
Information is available at the school to include but is not limited to the following upon request:
- The School Improvement Plan
- Qualifications of your child’s teacher
- Professional development opportunities for teachers and assistants to ensure highly qualified personnel
- Opportunities for parent involvement and input
- The Cumberland County Schools Improvement Plan.
- The Cumberland County Title I Parent Involvement Plan and School Parent Involvement Plan
- Cumberland County System Report Card
- School Report Card
Contact your child’s principal or teacher for more information on what you as a parent can expect.
PARTICIPATE IN PARENTING SKILLS AND INFORMATIONAL SESSIONS
Cumberland County Schools provides many opportunities at the individual school sites for parent training and assistance.
Sample skill sessions at the school site include but are not limited to:
- How to help your child with homework
- Learning about the curriculum on curriculum nights
- Dealing with Adolescence Behavior
- Technology, AR, Study Island, Reading Counts, Scholarship information and other programs parents can access at home
Contact the school principal, School Improvement Team Chairperson or Parent Facilitator for more information.
ASSIST IN PROMOTING STUDENT LEARNING AND ACADEMIC SUCCESS
Our schools can provide many opportunities to assist students with student academic achievement.
- Before and After School Program Opportunities
- Tutoring Programs
- Test Taking Skills for Elementary, Middle and High School Students
- Counseling and Mentor Programs
Contact the school principal or guidance counselor for more information and opportunities.
SERVE AS A PARENT VOLUNTEER
There are numerous opportunities to serve as a parent volunteer in Cumberland County Schools.
- Assist teachers in the classroom
- Volunteer in the office, media center, computer lab
- Volunteer for special programs, field trips and seasonal events
- Serve as a career resource or guest speaker
- Volunteer to assist with coaching, club sponsorships, and extracurricular activities
Contact the school principal or teacher for more information
PARTICIPATE IN SCHOOL DECISION MAKING AND ADVOCACY
Parents are encouraged to become full partners in the decisions that affect children and families. Cumberland County Schools provide many opportunities at the district level and individual school site for parent advisory involvement.
- Attend School Board Meetings
- Participate on The School Improvement Team (SIT) as a parent representative
- Serve on the PTA or PTO Board
- Join the School Parent Advisory Team
- Represent your school at District Parent Advisory Team (D-PAT) Meetings.
Contact the school principal, School Improvement Team Chairperson PTA/PTO officers or Parent Facilitator for more information
PARTICIPATE AS A COMMUNITY RESOURCE TO STRENGTHEN OUR SCHOOLS, FAMILIES, AND STUDENT LEARNING
- Participate as a school business partner
- Participate as a District Sponsor for various events
- Become involved in the Cumberland County Schools Education Foundation http://www.ccedfoundation.org/
Contact the school principal, or the Cumberland County Schools Communication Department at 910.678.2300 for more information.
Published by Bonita Robinson on February 14, 2013